upgrade failed, not finding modules

Hi,

I've upgraded to testing after using the stable debian version for a few months. Following the instructions at: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-woody.en.html
I changed /etc/apt/sources.list "stable" lines to "testing" and then ran:

apt-get update
apt-get -t testing dist-upgrade

After a little fooling around with the upgrades process, I was successful (no errors) and rebooted the machine (calling reboot). I then encounted the "LI" message from LILO. I found a CD runnable version of linux on the web (LNX-BBC) and from its boot: prompt, called root=/dev/hda1

That began the boot process, and I recognised some of the things that it was calling (smb mounts etc..), the problem is that it's printing the line:

modprobe: modprobe: Cant open dependencies file lib/modules/2.4.19-xfs/modules.dep (No such file or directory)

hundreds of times, eventually stopping at "INIT: no more processes left in this run level.".

Presumably, the upgrade to testing has upgraded the kernel as well. I didn't run LILO which caused the "LI" error, but now there is a problem with the modules for that new version of the kernel.

Is this a problem with the kernel upgrade process? Did I do something else wrong, or forget to do something? Did the kernel upgrade rename my previous kernel so I can use that to boot up?

What can I do now to get this machine to work - I really need it and am stuck!?!?!?

Thanks in advance,
Brett.