lyx spellcheck not working

I have lyx-qt 1.4.3-2 and aspell-en 0.51-1-1 installed in Sarge. Kernel
is 2.6.6-1-386.

1. Lyx does not work with aspell
   -----------------------------
I changed the spellchecker in LyX from the default ispell to aspell,
using Edit -> Preferences. Invoking a spellcheck resulted in the message
"Failed to start ispell". (It seems to be still looking for ispell.)

Any ideas? Should I report this as a bug?

2. Lyx does not work with ispell - solved
I installed ispell (ibritish 3.1.20.0-4) and changed back to ispell in
LyX. Invoking a spellcheck now resulted in the message "Can't open
/usr/lib/ispell/english.hash". This is bug #265030: lyx should use an
English dialect dictionary that exists. A workaround is to make a link
/usr/lib/ispell/english.hash to /usr/lib/ispell/british.hash.

--
Chris Lale <chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk>