unable to disable ipv6 in sarge

Dear list,

I cannot  disable ipv6. I tryed the following

1. edit /etc/modutils/aliases and uncomment the line

#alias net-pf-10 off             # IPv6

2. run update-modules
3. reboot

doing so the module ipv6.ko keeps beeing loaded al lsmod shows me.

I need to disable ipv6 since dns lookups in any graphical application are damn slow. Indeed, in order to survive, after a long struggle I just renamed the module file and now a can surf without swearing.

The fact that the module gets loaded is demonstrated by the following

Oct  9 22:16:07 vaccaro kernel: NET: Registered protocol family 10
Oct  9 22:16:07 vaccaro kernel: Disabled Privacy Extensions on device c02f4780(lo)
Oct  9 22:16:07 vaccaro kernel: IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver

I am runnig Sarge with kernel 2.6.7.

Can anybody  help me understand what the heck is going on? What am I missing

Thanks in advance

Andrea Vaccaro