Machine crashes after logging out of Gnome

Hey all, I have a very annoying problem. Everytime I log out of my gnome session, my machine locks up hard, and I have to power it down and reboot. This is also causing data loss, especially with my configuration files. After the machine comes back up, strange things don't work. For instance, every time it happens, I have to completely re-configure my Thunderbird prefs.js file, because it looks like it was still in the running state, and the prefs.bak file is empty. Today I lost part of my evolution configuration (all of the folder shortcuts are gone, replaced by the defaults). But the rest of the evolution config is ok (I can get my mail, etc.). I think it might have something to do with noflushd not flushing info back to disk before the machine crashes.

At any rate, the root of the problem is gdm crashing, but I can't get any logs because it doesn't save any before the crash occurs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is driving me nuts.

Jason