Re: Bad fonts in terminal window

hi,

Jim Seymour wrote:
On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 09:48:28AM +0800, Dale Kemp wrote:

Hi All,

The type in terminal windows (Konsole) are broken and difficult to read when signed in as a normal user. If I log in as root they are sharp and clear. So I think I have a permissions problem somewhere. I have set /usr/X11/bin to permissions 755 as I was directed in an earlier email. I apologize for this 'newbie' question however I have not been able to locate an answer in the docs. A search of files with permission set to 700 did not help. Any ideas or documents to read would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Jim Seymour

I get exactly the same problem the default konsole font has problems, symbols like '@' and 'M' overlap other
characters.  I've resorted to selecting a custom font.

I just switched over to a custom font which works just fine. I am still curious as to why the standard font is just fine when logged in under root. To me it still seems like there is a permission problem somewhere. I am just glad to hear I am not the "only" one having this problem :-)

Thanks,

Jim Seymour

i had the same problem, but now it is gone. i have changed several things, but i think what helped was to modify the /etc/fonts/local.conf and follow the advice:
<!-- Uncomment below to enable bitmapped fonts -->

besides that change i also added the following lines to this file:
  <match target="font">
    <edit name="hinting" mode="assign">
      <bool>false</bool>
    </edit>
  </match>

but i think that this change only helps to display antialiased fonts more clearly.

hope that helps other people aswell,
--
Christian Schuhegger
http://www.el-chef.de/