Problem mounting SMB filesystems

I have a debian sarge machine, and I'm trying to mount a share from another Windows XP machine. Here is the command I am using to mount the share:
mount -t smbfs -o username=user,password=pass //10.1.1.1/F$ /mnt/test

The mount command runs fine, but if anything on my system tries to access the partition, it freezes up. For instance, if I cd /mnt/test, then run ls, the ls will hang and becomes un-killable. A reboot is necessary to get rid of it. I also tried to add an entry into /etc/fstab, and mount it that way. But when I opened the filesystem icon on my desktop, it froze up as well, but I was able to do a Force Quit. The program went away, but all of the icons on my desktop disappeared.

I know there were some new samba packages that just came through, but has anyone else seen this behavior?

Thanks,
Jason Martens