Re: Low Resolution Problem

Ryan Waye <rmw998@comcast.net> wrote:

> now that I installed the nvidia drivers, about 6 programs crash upon
> starting X.  I reverted back to the NV drivers, but the screen is still
> a really low resolution(despite still being at 800x600) and the program
> crashes still happen.  How can I back off from my changes, or do I need
> to recompile to get a clean kernel?

I'm new to this myself so hopefully someone will correct any errors:

If you selected to allow debconf to manage your XF86Config-4 then you
should be able to rerun the config using dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86 as instructed on the header of the file.

If you are having problem with resolution then I suggest you check that
the amount of video ram is specified correctly (it may not auto probe
properly) and that you have specified your monitor correctly (getting
the refresh rates too low may limit resolution choice).

I'm using the 2.4.26 stock kernel with the 2.4.26 nvidia packages.  This
is working fine with my Gforce2 card.

Hope that helps,
Paul