Epson 777 printer worked only once with CUPS

I installed CUPS from the woody CDs a few monthws ago, configured my
Epson 777i printer using the handy web interface and it worked just
fine -- until I rebooted a few monthe ago.

After that, it never printed again -- except, of course in Windows,
where it works fine.
.
Under woody/CUPS, the CUPS print queue monitor happily reports the print
jobs are printing, then have finished, implausibly quickly.  Nothing
whatsoever happens on the actual printer, though.

Is there some setting or service that's set up during installation, then
forgotten every time it boots?

I've tried reconfiguring CUPS to no avail, just in case configuring it
does something that booting doesn't.

I'm really tired of switching to Windows every time I want to print
something.

The printer is connected to the parallel port.

dmesg reports the following lines that seem relevant.  But I don't
know whether they indicate a problem, or what to do about it.

parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [SPP,ECP,ECPPS2]
parport0: detected irq 7; use procfs to enable interrupt-driven operation.
lp0: using parport0 (polling).

-- hendrik