Dell 1750 install (nic not detected)

When installing debian testing on a new machine I am playing with, a dell 1750, I used the network drivers floppy and had no problem downloading whatever debian needed for installation from one of the mirrors on the internet.  It told me to reboot at some point, I took out out the floppy in the machine and rebooted.  When it came back up, it said there was no internet access and offered me a PPP setup procedure.  I had thought it would just get on the ethernet given what values I gave it for the install.  I went to a prompt and was surprised to see that the ethernet interface wasnt on the list (it's a broadcom).

I skimmed the dmesg and didn't see the broadcom interface there either.  What's the deal here, it worked on the install but not when booting from the hard drive?

Anyone have any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong?

thanks,
mohan