USB Mouse and XFree86 4.3.0-7

I have Debian installed and running, and XFree is working, except I cannot get my USB mouse working under X. The touchpad on my laptop works just fine, however. The mouse is correctly recognized by the system. While I'm on the console, if I unplug it, then plug it in again, I get messages saying that the mouse was detected correctly.

usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:1d.2-2 address 2
hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.2-2, assigned address 3
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 3, frame# 240
input: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [Microsoft Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical] on usb3:3.0

My input section of the XF86Config-4 looks like this:
Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
       Driver          "mouse"
       Option          "CorePointer"
       Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
       Option          "Protocol"              "PS/2"
       Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
       Driver          "mouse"
       Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
       Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
       Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
       Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

I've tried every device file I can think of, but I can't seem to be able to find where the mouse device file is:
hostname:~# cat /dev/input/mice
cat: /dev/input/mice: No such device

I've googled, with no luck so far.

Here are my specs if it helps...
hostname:~# uname -a
Linux hostname 2.4.25-1-686 #1 Tue Feb 24 10:55:59 EST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux
Dell Latitude C640
Debian 3.0 Testing

Thanks for any help you can give...
Jason