Kernel panic using network

I installed (or rather, am trying to install) Debian Sarge on an ASUS
5800C laptop.  I was using the beta-2 of debian-installer.

The kernel installed (2.4.22-something) did not cope with the network
card.  It requires the sk98lin driver, but trying to load this module
gave error messages.

>From googling, I found that this network card was not fully supported
until 2.4.23.  So I downloaded the 2.4.23-kernel .deb, transferred it to
the laptop on a CD, and installed it.  Now I may configure the network
card and the network, using ifconfig and route.

The problem is that as soon as I try to use the network, pinging out of
or into the machine, I get a
"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

The first line of the error message looks somewhat relevant:
"skput:over : e097e5bb:60 put:18 dev:eth0kernel BUG at skbuff.c:93!"

Can anyone help me to get further?  I need to get the network up, and I
need to continue and finish the installation.

Suggestions, anyone?

Asbjørn Sæbø
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.