Installing Sarge under VMWARE 4.0 Workstation

I'm installing Sarge under VMWARE 4.0 and it's dying right after the Hardware detect. I've tried creating the main hard disk under VMWARE as either IDE or SCSI, and it dies both ways, although somewhat differently.

As near as I can tell, the problem is that it can't "see" the hard disk, and it can't see it because it thinks it needs a kernel mod. Under the IDE scenario, I've narrowed it down to it thinking that it needs IDE-SCSI (IDE emulation).

But this doesn't make sense, at least not to me :) Shouldn't that be already present? After all, it can see the IDE-based CDROM....

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)