testing install loops at lilo setup

Newbie to debian ... used redhat before.

Trying to install testing to a machine. It gets to the point where it asks me what disc to install lilo on. I tell it disc1, and it seems to work as i get no error message. Then i get to the 'debian installer main menu' which basically lists out all the steps that have already been completed. I assume i dont need to install both lilo and grub?

If i select finisht the installation and reboot, it takes me back the lilo setup asking me what disc to install lilo on.

Can anyone tell me what i might be doing wrong here?

thanks,

ian