someone has made my init unhappy.

I have started experiencing a rather frustrating problem recently,
well within the past month or so anyway.  It has taken a more
irritating turn in the past few days.  I usually logout of my various
consoles each evening before leaving the office.  I have noticed that
recently sometimes one or so of the consoles doesn't complete the
logout process and I start getting the message:

INIT: Id "8" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

It is not always console eight but once it happens I have not found a
way to clear the condition short of rebooting.

I have not filed a bug report because I'm not sure who's  bug this is
exactly bash, init or base-files.  I checked the bugs for base-files
but it says there are none pending.

Someone suggested it may only happen on consoles I have background
tasks running on but I can't tell for sure because in any given day I
may start many many background tasks and daemons.  So which consoles I
started them on after the fact is difficult to say.  There are no
references to the misbehaving tty in a ps aux listing.

If anyone has any ideas about what to check or how to clear the
situation it would be very useful.  I can't imagine I'm the only
person seeing this behaviour.  I am running sid which gets
dist-upgraded every few days.  I am running kernel 2.4.24 but was
seeing the same behaviour under 2.4.20 which I upgraded from
yesterday.  A dpkg -l listing of bash and base-files is:

ii  base-files     3.0.12         Debian base system miscellaneous
files
ii  bash           2.05b-12       The GNU Bourne Again SHell

  Kirk