sarge-install fails to read only mount

INSTALL REPORT

Debian-installer-version: 08 oct 2003 from Debian
website
(http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/netinst/i386/)
Method: Network install with Sarge CD-ROM
sarge-i386-netinst.iso
Machine: Custom Shuttle
Processor: PIV Celeron 1000 Mhz
Memory: 1024 MB

Base System Installation Checklist:

Initial boot worked:    [O]
Configure network HW:   [E]
Config network:         [O]
Detect CD:              [O]
Load installer modules: [O]
Detect hard drives:     [O]
Partition hard drives:  [O]
Create file systems:    [E]
Mount partitions:       [O]
Install base system:    [O]
Install boot loader:    [O]
Reboot:                 [E]
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] =
didn't try it

Comments/Problems:

Configure network hw
--------------------
When the installer automatically got to this step it
errored out. However I was able to select Detect
Network, which found the card and everything is good.

Create file system
------------------
When creating a filesystem, I have been trying a
reiserFS. After selected a partiton for /, and select
a swap drive, I choose Finish. At first, I thought it
was hanging here, but I switched out to tty2 (alt-f3)
and noticed it was stuck on the question asking
"Continue with creating filesystem". After choosing
Yes, the system hangs. I can hit CTRL-C, in which case
I notice two modules fail to get found (from memory
xfs and nfs?). It then prompts again.

I found a work around for this step though.

When I getto this step, I switch over to tty1 and
start a shell. I then make the filesystem myself with
command...
/sbin/mkreiserfs
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1
... I could not do make.reiserfs manually it would
also freeze. in which case the filesystem is created,
I switch back to installer and choose "Leave
filesystem in place".

Reboot
------
Upon rebooting I noticed tons and tons of read-only
errors. After runlevel 2, the boot hangs, failing to
start a syslog file. Nothing was able to start because
the filesystem got mounted read-only. I can't get a
log of it either, but I will try.

Anything I can do, or did I do something wrong in
creating the filesystem manually?

part1 79GB Linux, reiserFS
part2 1GB, Linux Swap