Re: KDE 3

On Tuesday 15 July 2003 09:50, Luca Micheletti wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i have searched on the Internet kde 3 deb packages for sarge but i can't
> found these.
>
> Is it possible to install kde 3 deb packages on sarge?
> If yes ,how?

You can install the kde3 packages from sid without problem (except that you
possibly need to upgrade some other sarge packages to sid, such as libstdc++
or so, I'm not sure).

Create a file /etc/apt/preferences like
=========
Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 700
=========

and add apt sources for unstable to /etc/apt/sources.list and do apt-get
update (this assumes you're on network directly). Reaad the apt_preferences
man page to understand what this does. In short:

if you just normally use apt-get (or dselect) to install packages, nothing has
changed. But now you can install packages from sid with 'apt-get install -t
unstable <pkg>' (or apt-get install <pkg>/unstable, or 'apt-get install
are installed, and which versions are available, for instance:

$ apt-cache policy kmail
kmail:
  Installed: 4:3.1.1-1
  Candidate: 4:3.1.2-1
  Version Table:
     4:3.1.2-1 0
        500 http://syydelaervli unstable/main Packages
 *** 4:3.1.1-1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4:2.2.2-14.1 0
        700 http://syydelaervli testing/main Packages

shows that there is kmail 4:2.2.2-14.1 in testing, and 4:3.1.2-1 in sid, and I
have installed 4:3.1.1-1 on my computer.

With this setup it is quite easy to mix packages between testing and unstable.
Of course, occasional dependency problems, or even some obscure bugs, might
show up if you do this, but at the moment it all works pretty smooth.

greets
-- vbi

--
featured link: http://fortytwo.ch/gpg/subkeys