Re: xfree84 4.2.1 and Matrox G550

On Fre, 09 Mai 2003, Hartmut Henkel wrote:

>Now Matrox G550 runs here from native sarge xfree 4.2.1 (all was my
>fault). Obviously no Matrox downloads required for std. X/Gnome
>operation, neither any special kernel modules. Thanks for your help!

Your display is connected via D-SUB, not DVI, isn't it? AFAIK when using
a DVI cable, to get things work the drivers shipped with 4.2.1 have to be
replaced by matrox drivers (at least mga_hal_drv.o). Please correct me
if I'm wrong.

Recently, I replaced my CRT with a LCD monitor, and ran into several
problems with the G550, X and the framebuffer device on the text console.
So I'm very interested if someone else got these problems solved with
debian packages, a stable kernel (2.4.20) and maybe some magical
configuration files.

Best wishes,
Torsten