Re: place for packages

* hendrik@pooq.com <hendrik@pooq.com> [030423 02:51]:

> I could just create a directory somewhere, but I suspect someone will
> have allocated one just for the them, and I'd like to use a standard
> location.
AFAIK there is no standard place for your non-debian packages, but I
would keep them /pub/debian or something similar.

> And is there any particular way to organize said directory to make it
> usable as a source for dselect?
Sure. First instlal the Package "dpkg-dev". This contains the script
"dpkg-scanpackage". With this script you can create a so called
Package-file. This file contains descriptions of the packages,
locations and depenency informations.

Mostly it will work, if you just call "dpkg-scanpackage /pub/debian /dev/null
> /pub/debian/Packages" (read man 8 dpkg-scanpackages for further
informations).

Finaly you need to tell the Advanced Package Tool (apt) where to find
your Package-File. Just edit /etc/apt/sources.list and add a line like
deb file:///pub/debian ./

And thats it! Now any Tools using apt (including dselect) should know
your private package-repository (after you updated the list of avaible
packages).

cu
Alex

--