Re: how to install a testing package?

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 11:22:20PM +0200, Julian Mehnle wrote:
> hendrik@pooq.com wrote:

> > How do I go about it, so that it will be properly downloaded to the
> > proper place, installed properly, and I retain a copy of the package in
> > case I need to do it again?  Do I need to set up my own patial mirror on
> > my hard disk somewhere?
>
> There are to ways to accomplish this:
>
> 1. via /etc/apt/preferences:
>    `man apt_preferences`
>    http://www.argon.org/~roderick/apt-pinning.html
>
> 2. via the Apt option APT::Default-Release:
>    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-default-version

Also, though it does *not* appear to be an issue with twiki, do be
aware that testing and unstable will often have different releases of
glibc and other base libraries, which the above methods would end up
upgrading as well. Newer libraries should be backwards-compatible with
the other stable packages, but there's no guarantee.

If your desired package did require a glibc or similar upgrade, you'd
possibly be better off with:

- add a deb-src line to /etc/apt/sources.list pointing to the testing
  or unstable release

- apt-get update

- apt-get build-dep (somepackage)

- apt-get -b source (somepackage)

Even that's no guarantee if there are lots of unmet dependencies (for
example, if a package required perl 5.8, and there was no chance of it
working in 5.6). You'd end up either rebuilding various dependencies
as well, or finding another source that had already backported the
necessary packages back to the stable release.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu