Re: locale-gen + segfault while generating LC_TIME

Siert Zijl wrote at Wed, 4 Sep 2002 00:06:18 +0200:

> I have problems re-generating locales. I started `dpkg-reconfigure locales`,
> choose the locales I wanted to generate, choose 'leave alone' in the configuring
> locales dialog box, and since then I am hooked up with a segmentation fault on
> generating the new locales.
>
> I am running woody with kernel 2.4.19. The kernel supports nls_iso8859-1,
> nls_iso8859-15 and nls_cp437. The following locales have to be generated:
> en_US.ISO-8859-1, nl_NL.ISO-8859-1, nl_NL.ISO-8859-15 but I am really happy if
> only the nl_NL.ISO-8859-15 succeeds! The same system with kernel 2.4.18 fails
> aswell.

This is very likely due to non-executable stack kernel patches
(Owl, grsecurity).  Localedef program uses nested functions,
and gcc generates trampolines for calls, which in turn requires
stack to be executable.  Owl patches (www.openwall.com) has
an option, "Emulate GCC Trampolines", and a program to control
whenever stack will be executable for a given program.  Using
either of those cures the problem completely for me.

/mjt