Upgrading XFree86

Hi,

I've installed Woody on a new box. It has a Matrox 550 video card in it, which is only supported under more recent versions of XFree86. I intend to use this box as a server though and would like to keep it as close to the stable flavor as possible. So, I've learned about apt-pinning and believe I have that working pretty well. I have done

apt-get -t testing install [package name]

on a lot of the packages that I thought would adequately upgrade me to Xfree86, but I'm getting the impression that I have to recompile the kernel to include the mga module or something from the error message I'm getting when X won't start. So two questions, 1) Anyone installed a Matrox 550 card under Debian? What'd you do? and 2) What are all the packages I would need to upgrade to have all the X stuff at the testing level? Thanks for any help.

Brian