d-i INSTALL REPORT

INSTALL REPORT

Debian-installer-version: http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/netinst/i386/sarge-i386-netinst.iso (12 Aug 2003)
uname -a: Linux huan 2.4.18-686 #1 Sun Apr 14 11:32:47 EST 2002 i686 unknown
(that's after installing woody and kernel-image-2.4.18-686)
Date: 12 Aug 2003
Method: CD/network install (standard mirrors) No proxy
Machine: MS6119 motherboard (slot 1), eepro100 nic
Processor: Pentium II-MMX 350
Memory: 64M
Root Device: IDE primary master
Root Size/partition table:

Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 525 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
   /dev/hda1   *         1       487   3911796   83  Linux
   /dev/hda2           488       525    305235   82  Linux swap

Output of lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX Host bridge (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX AGP bridge (rev 03)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
00:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 08)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo 3 (rev 01)

Base System Installation Checklist:

Initial boot worked:    [O]
Configure network HW:   [E]
Config network:         [O]
Detect CD:              [O]
Load installer modules: [O]
Detect hard drives:     [O]
Partition hard drives:  [E]
Create file systems:    [E]
Mount partitions:       [E]
Install base system:    [E]
Install boot loader:    [E]
Reboot:                 [ ]
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

Comments/Problems:

"Detect a keyboard and select layout" failed immediately: "Segmentation
fault kbd-chooser's postinst exited with status 35584"  This went away
after loading the console-keymaps-at installer module.

eepro100 module wasn't on the CD. grr. Swapped out the NIC with another
I had lying around, which was detected without trouble (3c59x).

DHCP configuration worked fine, but the installer keeps defaulting to
the "configure a network via PPP over modem or serial line" option.

"Partitioning Error: Failed to partition the disc
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc." Same with the OLD version, but
that one then gives me a useful error message: "cfdisk: error while
No such file or directory" I had to manually symlink
/lib/libslang.so.1-UTF8 to /lib/libslang.so.1. Even then it didn't work
from the installer and I had to run cfdisk manually on another console.

I would have liked to see it create the filesystems. (or at least an
indication that it was doing so.) As it was I wondered if it had frozen
up.

After 'configure and mount partitions' which had created filesystems, it
asks me to "Automatically partition hard drives (unsafe)". Yeah, that's
a great idea.

during install base system after downloading the packages lists the
screen was blank (blue bg) and the network inactive. Hitting enter a few
times spurred it into action. Perhaps there was a prompt that got messed
up by the UI? or perhaps hitting enter was coincidental with it
finishing whatever it was doing. The same thing happened during install
the kernel, but pushing enter did nothing (although it eventually came
to life again). Therefore I assume pressing enter was a coincidence in
the first case. Incidentally, I thought installing the base system did
install a kernel - are these two steps supposed to both be run?

At the end of Install the Kernel debootstrap exited with error code 1,
apparently because /target/usr/bin/awk already existed (from
/target/var/log/debootstrap.log). It is a symlink to
/etc/alternatives/awk

I would have liked to install grub instead of lilo, but couldn't see
how. Further, when I did try to install lilo it behaved as if installing
the base system (yet again) and failed the same as above.

In the end I had to install using a woody CD, but it has made
considerable progress since my last try. I have a few general
suggestions from an experienced Debian user's standpoint. I like the
alternative choices but they have a high potential for confusing users.
Especially when the next highlighted choice is absurd, as was the case
with wanting me to autopartition after having partitioned manually and
created the filesystems.

The order of operations seems a little skewed; at least in my case I had
to do installer modules before I could select a keyboard, and once
installer modules has been done there are a lot of choices listed before
it which seem to depend on it. That's ok as long as the default
selection makes sense and doesn't get stuck on something absurd. (as
another example of that, when I tried a second time I didn't want to
repartition because I was satisfied with the partitioning I had already
done, but after every step it wanted me to partition the hard drive)

The slang(?) interface is still a little rough around the edges. (things
overflowing off the right of the screen, the apparent inactivity (e.g.
broken-looking screen) while it thinks, etc.) Couldn't figure out how to
get back to plain text in spite of installing the installer module.

--
 Hans Fugal                 | De gustibus non disputandum est.
 http://hans.fugal.net/     | Debian, vim, mutt, ruby, text, gpg