Re: GTK1.2 with Gnome2

Chris Caldwell sent the following message Today:

CC>  I'm noticing on two systems upgraded from Woody to Sid that
CC>  GTK1.2 applications no longer display correct fonts. I've tried
CC>  setting the font manually in:
CC>
CC>  ~/.gtkrc
CC>  ~/.gtkrc.mine
CC>  ~/.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2
CC>  /usr/share/themes/<theme>/gtk/gtkrc
CC>
CC>  Any/all of these worked under Gnome1.4 - but now I get a very
CC>  large sans serif font under Gnome2. Setting the font using the
CC>  Gnome2 Font Preferences works for GTK2 applications only.  I've
CC>  done extensive searching with Google but cannot find a posted bug
CC>  regarding this or a resolution to similar problems posted by
CC>  others.
CC>
CC>  Any ideas?

Well, for what it is worth, I found the problem. Seems GTK1.2 is
very picky about locales. Changing from en_US.UTF8 to
en_US.ISO8859-1 or C and GTK1.2 picks up the correct font. This
should probably be filed as a bug, since the font I am using does
support the UTF8 charset.

--
Chris Caldwell

Information Systems Coordinator, Enterprise Systems
Information Systems and Services, The George Washington University
caldwell @ gwu . edu | +1 202.994.4674 (w) | +1 202.409.0878 (c)
http://asclepius.tops.gwu.edu | GPG key ID: 0xE52D0BE8

"Formal education can rarely improve the character of a scoundrel."
                                    - Derek Bok, Harvard University