Unresolved symbols when building kernel modules with make-kpkg, worked fine before

Hi,

Since about a week (maybe a bit longer), I can't build working kernel modules anymore. An example is lm-sensors (using lm-sensors-src) and the CVS snapshots of the DRI stuff (packages made by Michel Daenzer).

E.g., the 2003.04.25 version of the drm-module-trunk-src package (by Michel) compiled (using make-kpkg modules-image) and installed (dpkg -i <.deb file>) nicely, on April 27th. If I try to build that same package now, I get a lot of Unresolved symbols in the depmod phase of the installation (carried out by dpkg).

The same goes for lm-sensors, as I already said.

I'm running testing, and update/dist-upgrade almost every day. The above packages were built using gcc-2.95, since the kernel I'm running (the precompiled kernel image of package kernel-image-2.4.20-1-k7) is compiled with 2.95.

What changed since then? I saw there is at least the migration to gcc-3.2 as default (but again, I didn't use it to compile the modules with) and a new version of kernel-package.

I'm getting pretty desperate! What could have changed in my build environment causing this? (I certainly haven't messed with it myself... ;-)

Michel suggested it could have to do something with CONFIG_MOVERSIONS, but my knowledge is too limited to find out what exactly could this have to do with it.

Thanks in advance for any reply!

(Please Cc: to my personal e-mail address if you reply...)

Best regards,

Manuel Bilderbeek