Re: Installation report on AMD Duron

On Friday, May 31, 2002, at 06:52  AM, Michael Stone wrote:

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 08:54:20PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
Matt Kraai wrote:
 * base-config sets the default value of apt-setup/distribution
   to the value of SUITE, but
 * its possible values are stable, testing, and unstable, so it
   falls back to the old default, stable.

Joey, is this correct?  If so, what (if anything) can be done?

Yes that's right, and nothing at this time.

Why can't "woody" just be a valid setting?

"woody" should never be a valid setting, in my opinion.

"unstable", "testing" or "frozen" yes, but never the distro codename.

But the question is: How to change it from 'stable' to the snapshot of choice, automagically?

I'm almost positive that it's probably almost impossible. The best we could hope for is a fancy little addition to the code in the dbootstrap (I think that's right), perhaps right near the beginning that allows a choice of which flavour you want to install, and then perform a variable-substitution the rest of the way through.

I'm not saying that it would be overly pretty, or easy to do (ie: I can't do it!) but I'm sure if you wanted to do this little improvement and submit a patch to the appropriate maintainer........who knows.

Anywho, just thinking out loud here.

--JM