Installation report on AMD Duron system

I recently have been doing some installations of various
flavors of Woody from CD.  I was using images constructed
from the jigdo files located at
ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial/woody/jigdo/
but for the last several attempts, I've been using an image
constructed using the jigdo file
http://cdimage.debian.org/jigdo-area/3.0-pre6/jigdo/i386/woody-i386-1_NONUS.jigdo.

Is there a preferred site to be using to obtain jigdo files at
this point in time?

The hardware configuration:

   K7ZVM Ver 1.1g 12/06/2000 Motherboard
   AMD Duron 700MHz Processor
   256MB Memory
   Onboard IDE
   Onboard Serial/Parallel/USB
   Onboard Sound
   3.5" Floppy
   Maxtor 6.5 GB Hard Drive
   40x CD-ROM Drive
   Epson 480sxu USB Printer
   Matrox Marvel G200
   UMAX Astra 1220S (SCSI) Scanner
   Domex DMX3191D SCSI Controller
   Some type of "soft" modem
   PS/2 Keyboard
   PS/2 Mouse

These comments are very specific to my environment.  I
suspect that some of the things that I mention are the
way that they are to support other architectures.

This is a somewhat negative report on installing Woody,
but please don't think that I don't appreciate all of
the hard work that has gone into Debian.

I have tried to take somewhat of a novice user's
viewpoint.  It's been a long time since I installed
Debian from scratch (gotta love apt-get).  Until this
experience, I believed that a moderately skilled person
could successfully install Debian, but I'm not so sure
now based on this attempt.

These comments are directly related to this install.
At the end of this message is a "transcript" of how the
installation was done.

 o Since this is a X window system/desktop environment
   install I would expect installation to complete with
   starting gdm/kdm/xdm.  Perhaps a note should be added to
   the "Have fun!" message suggesting a reboot or how to
   manually get the system into the same state as a reboot
   would.

 o As part of the "Configuring Xserver-xfree86" process, I
   took the default <Yes> when asked "Use kernel
   framebuffer device interface".  X would not start since
   the framebuffer drivers for the Matrox G200 video card
   are not included in the kernel that is installed as part
   of the installation process (vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4).  It
   would seem to me that at least on the Intel platform,
   <No> would be a better default.  Perhaps more specific
   guidance than:
      In theory, either approach should work, but in
      practice, sometimes one does and the other does
      not.  Enabling this option is the safe bet, but
      feel free to turn it off if it appears to cause
      problems.
   In my case, enabling this option was NOT the safe bet.

 o It appears that support for the RealTek RTL-8139 PCI
   Fast Ethernet Adapter is compiled into the installation
   kernel (vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4).  The card was detected
   and configured with no problems.  However after
   installing a new kernel (vmlinuz-2.4.18-k7) in an
   attempt to resolve the framebuffer issue, support for
   the 8139 card is via a module (8139too) which was not
   installed during the boot process.  What other drivers
   are compiled into the "boot floppies" kernel that are
   not present in the "standard" kernel images? This
   behavior is not very user friendly.

 o The "rec" command from the sox package is broken.  "rec
   x.au" results in "sox: Unknown output file format for
   '': Filetype was not specified".  Shouldn't packages
   that are installed by default work?  I ran into this one
   a while back upgrading another box that used "rec" as
   part of a real application.  See Debian Bug #143262
   <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=143262&repeatmerged=yes>.
   It appears to be fixed in unstable, will the fixed
   package make it into Woody?

 o During the "Configuring X-ttcidfont-conf" phase, partial
   instructions (the syntax is different in the XF86Config-4
   file and the xfs files) are given on how to edit three
   files.  In addition, the instructions may not apply if
   the user has selected to manage the X server
   configuration files with debconf.  Not very user friendly.

 o The default /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file includes a
   reference to the device file "/dev/input/mice".  When X
   is started, xf86OpenSerial reports as an error "Cannot
   open device /dev/input/mice No such device." (in
   /var/log/:0.log).  No big deal though.

 o Consideration should be given to splitting dialup and
   ISDN PPP support into two tasks instead of having both
   as part of the dialup system task.  I have been using
   dselect to unselect the ISDN packages.

 o The partimage-server package will not install properly.
   See the transcript below.

 o It's too easy to exit tasksel with no obvious way to go
   back.

Comments not directly related to this particular install:

 o I know it probably wasn't a good idea, but since 2.4.x
   kernels support the Domex DMX3191D SCSI controller, I
   attempted to use it to connect a UMAX scanner.  Simple
   things work (preview/small images), but large scans
   hang the machine hard.

 o Getting sound to work is fairly painless.  However, when
   when gdm/esd starts, "unnatural" sounds are emitted from
   the speakers.

 o Folks who are upgrading from the Progeny Debian based
   distribution, need to be sure to remove the Progeny
   bug reporting package (progeny-bug) and install the
   Debian bug package.  I discovered this when I used the
   bug command to file a bug report and it did not make
   it into the Debian Bug Tracking System.

 o sendmailconfig is broken.  Given my belief that woody
   was as good as stable, I suggested that a coworker go
   ahead and install Woody as part of a new installation.
   I was embarrassed when sendmailconfig broke on him.  See
   Debian Bug #146331
   <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=146331&repeatmerged=yes>.
   Got another install for testing purposes though. :)

 o I didn't have any problem configuring the Epson 480sxu
   USB printer to work via cups.

Once again thanks for all of the hard work.

Paul

The installation transcript:

| Welcome to Debian GNU/Linux 3.0! |
 F3
| BOOT METHODS |
 bf24
| Choose The Language |
 en    ** proceed in english **
| Choose Language Variant |
 English (United States)
| Release Notes |
 <Continue>
| Debian GNU/Linux Installation Main Menu |
 Next: Configure the Keyboard
  | Select a keyboard |
   qwerty/us
| Debian GNU/Linux Installation Main Menu |
 Alternate: Activate a Previously-Initialized Swap Partition
  | Are You Sure? |
   <Yes>    ** /dev/hda6 **
| Debian GNU/Linux Installation Main Menu |
 Next: Initialize a Linux Partition
  | Choose Filesystem Type |
   Ext3
  | Scan for Bad Blocks? |
   <No>
  | Are You Sure? |
   <Yes>
  | Mount as the Root Filesystem? |
   <Yes>   ** /dev/hda3 **
| Debian GNU/Linux Installation Main Menu |
 <Alt-F2>
  lsmod
  keybdev
  usbkbd
  input
  usb-uhci
  usbcore
  dmesg
 <Alt-F1>
 Next: Install Kernel and Driver Modules?
  | Found a Debian CD-ROM |
   <Yes>
| Debian GNU/Linux Installation Main Menu |
 Next: Configure Device Driver Modules
  | Note about loaded drivers |
   <Continue>
  | Select Category |
   Exit
| Debian GNU/Linux Installation Main Menu |
 Next: Configure the Network
  | Choose the Hostname |
   myhostname
  | Automatic Network Configuration |
   <No>
  | Choose the IP Address |
   192.168.100.101
  | Choose the Network Mask |
   255.255.255.0
  | What is your IP gateway address |
   <blank>
  | Choose the Domain name |
   mydomainname
  | Choose the DNS Server Addresses |
   <blank>
| Debian GNU/Linux Installation Main Menu |
 Next: Install the Base System
  | Select Installation Medium |
   cdrom
  | Please insert the CD-ROM |
   <Continue>
  | Select Archive path |
   /instmnt
| Debian GNU/Linux Installation Main Menu |
 Next: Make System Bootable
 | Where should the LILO boot loader be installed? |
  /dev/hda3 ... root partition's boot sector.
 | Other bootable partitions |
  Include: Put all into the menu
 | Securing LILO |
  <Continue>
 | Create Master Boot Record? |
  <Yes>   ** /dev/hda **
 | Important Information about the installed MBR |
  <Continue>
 | Make Linux the Default Boot Partition? |
  <Yes    ** /dev/hda3 **
| Debian GNU/Linux Installation Main Menu |
 Alternate: Reboot the System
  | Reboot the system? |
   <Yes>

| Debian System Configuration |
 <Ok>
| Time Zone Configuration |
 <Yes>   ** GMT **
| Time Zone Configuration |
 US
| Time Zone Configuration |
 Central
| Password setup |
 <Yes> ** md5 passwords? **
| Password setup |
 <Yes> ** shadow passwords? **
| Password setup |
 rootpassword
| Password setup |
 rootpassword
| Password setup |
 <Yes> ** normal user account now? **
| Password setup |
 username
| Password setup |
 User Full Name
| Password setup |
 userpassword
| Password setup |
 userpassword
| Debian System Configuration |
 <Yes> ** remove the pcmcia packages? **
| Debian System Configuration |
 <No>  ** PPP connection to install the system? **
| Apt Configuration |
 cdrom ** method apt should use to access the Debian archive: **
| Apt Configuration |
 /dev/cdrom  ** loaded CD in drive **
| Apt Configuration |
 <No>  ** Scan another CD? **
| Apt Configuration |
 <No>  ** Add another apt source? **
| Apt Configuration |
 <No>  ** Use security updates from security.debian.org? **
       ** Since woody isn't stable, can break install if <Yes> **
| Debian System Configuration |
 <Yes> ** Run tasksel? **
 | Select tasks to install |
  X window system          ** It's too easy to exit tasksel **
  desktop environment      ** with no obvious way to go back **
  dialup system
  <Finish>
 <Yes> ** Run dselect? **
  Deselect:
   isdnutils-base
   isdnutils
   isdnvboxserver
   isdnutils-xtools
   ippd
   isdnvboxclient
   isdnlog
   isdnlog-data
   wvdial
   diald
   leafnode
  Select:
   partimage
   partimage-server
   openssl
  <Enter>
 <Enter> ** Do you want to continue? [Y/n] **
 <Enter> ** Media Change: Please insert disc labeled 'Debian
              GNU/Linux 3.0 p6 _Woody_ - Pre-release i386
              Binary-1 (20020516)' in the drive
              '/cdrom/ and press enter **
| Configuring Binutils |
 <Ok>
| Configuring Less |
 <No> ** Add a mime handler for "application/*"? **
| Configuring Locales |
 <Ok> ** No locales selected **
| Configuring Locales |
 Leave alone  ** The default is C **
| Configuring Nfs-common |
 <Ok>   ** statd uses tcpwrappers/use ... statd in ... hosts.deny. **
| Configuring Ssh |
 <Yes>  ** Allow SSH protocol 2 only **
| Configuring Ssh |
 <Yes>  ** Do you want /usr/bin/ssh to be installed SUID root? **
| Configuring Ssh |
 <Yes>  ** Do you want to run the sshd server? **
| Configuring Abiword-common |
 <Ok>   ** Load    "type1" **
| Paper Size Configuration |
 letter
| fetchmail-common |
 <Ok>  ** System-wide fetchmail and ppp scripts **
 <Yes> ** Install a system-wide fetchmail service? **
 <No>  ** Run system-wide fetchmail as root? **
 <Ok>  ** New /etc/default/fetchmail may override your settings. **
| Configuring Gdm |
 gdm   ** Select the desired default display manager. **
| Configuring Mozilla-browser |
 <Yes> ** Do you want to use FreeType support on Mozilla? **
| Configuring Partimage-server |
 <Yes> ** Do you want to create SSL certificates? **
| Configuring Psfontmgr |
 <No>  ** Do you have a PostScript Printer? But I will be using **
       ** Ghostscript, does this count as having a **
       ** PostScript Printer? **
| Configuring Psfontmgr |
 <Ok>  ** Run defoma-psfont-installer later **
| Configuring Wwwoffle |
 en (English)
| Configuring Wwwoffle |
 none  ** Use which parent proxy? **
| Configuring Wwwoffle |
 yes   ** ...rely on a dialup (PPP)...? **
| Configuring Wwwoffle |
 password
| Configuring X-ttcidfont-conf |
 freetype  ** Choose the backend ... for TrueType handling on X **
| Configuring X-ttcidfont-conf |
 <Ok>  ** FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/CID"      **
       ** FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType" **
       ** Edit: /etc/X11/XF86Config-4                                 **
       ** Edit: /etc/X11/fs/config                                    **
       ** Edit: /etc/X11/fs-xtt/config                                **
| Configuring Xserver-common |
 <Yes> ** Manage X server ... with debconf **
| Configuring Xserver-xfree86 |
 <Yes> ** Manage X server ... with debconf **
| Configuring Xserver-xfree86 |
 mga   ** Select the desired X server driver **
       ** Some of the names are not very descriptive **
| Configuring Xserver-xfree86 |
 <Yes> ** Use kernel framebuffer device interface? **
| Configuring Xserver-xfree86 |
 xfree86  ** ...XKB rule set to use **
| Configuring Xserver-xfree86 |
 <Ok>  ** keyboard model information **
| Configuring Xserver-xfree86 |
 pc104  ** Please select your keyboard model. **
| Configuring Xserver-xfree86 |
 us     ** Please select your keyboard layout. **
| Configuring Xserver-xfree86 |
 /dev/psaux ** Please choose your mouse port. **
| Configuring Xserver-xfree86 |
 ImPS/2     ** Please choose ... describes your mouse. **
| Configuring Xserver-xfree86 |
 <No>   ** Is your monitor an LCD device? **
| Configuring Xserver-xfree86 |
 <Medium> ** Please choose a method ... monitor characteristics. **
| Configuring Xserver-xfree86 |
 1024x768 @ 75Hz
| Configuring Xserver-xfree86 |
 1024x768   ** Select the video modes ... X server to use. **
  800x600
  640x480
 <Ok>
| Configuring Xserver-xfree86 |
 24       ** Please select your desired default color depth in bits. **

** During unpacking and setting up of packages **
 Setting up ibritish
  <Enter> ** Leave american the default [1] **

** Received error message **

 Setting up partimage-server (0.6.1-13) ...
 chown: getting attributes of `/var/run/partimaged': No such file or directory
 dpkg: error processing partimage-server (--configure):
  partimage-server
 Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to configure the
 packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors
 or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the errors
 above this message are important. Please fix them and run [I]nstall again
  <Enter> ** Press enter to continue. **
1
| Debian System Configuration |
 <Yes>  ** Packages failed to install.  Retry? **
| Debian System Configuration |
 <No>   ** Run tasksel? **
| Debian System Configuration |
 <No>   ** Run dselect? **

 <Enter> ** Do you want to continue? [Y/n] **
 <Enter> ** Media Change: Please insert disc labeled 'Debian
              GNU/Linux 3.0 p6 _Woody_ - Pre-release i386
              Binary-1 (20020516)' in the drive
              '/cdrom/ and press enter **

 Setting up partimage-server (0.6.1-13) ...
 chown: getting attributes of `/var/run/partimaged': No such file or directory
 dpkg: error processing partimage-server (--configure):
  partimage-server
 Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to configure the
 packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors
 or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the errors
 above this message are important. Please fix them and run [I]nstall again
  <Enter> ** Press enter to continue. **

| Debian System Configuration |
 <No>    ** Packages failed to install.  Retry? **

 <Enter> ** exim setup **
 2       ** Internet site using smarthost **
 <Enter> ** visible mail name **
 <Enter> ** other names for incoming mail messages **
 <Enter> ** relay mail for other domains **
 <Enter> ** networks of local machines to relay mail for? **
 smtp.isp.com ** smarthost name **
 myusername   ** system administrator mail to **
 <Enter>      ** Confirm and install exim configuration **

| Debian System Configuration |
   <Ok> ** Have fun! **

** Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot **

<Yes> ** I cannot start the X server (your graphical
         interface).  It is likely that it is not set
         up correctly.  Would you like to view the X
         server output to diagnose the problem? **

<EXIT> ** (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
          Fatal server error:
          no screens found **

<Yes>  ** Would you like me to try to run the X
          configuration program?  Note that you will
          need the root password for this. **

rootpassword ** Password: **

** xf86cfg starts.  Mouse does not work.  Sorted out how
   to use keypad.  Tried to configure mouse.  xf86cfg exits
   but X server still running.

   <Ctrl-Alt-F7> has messages "(EE) xf86OpenSerial:
   Cannot open /dev/mouse -- No such file or directory.
   (WW) Mouse0: cannot open input device

   <Alt-F8> <Ctrl-Alt-Backspace> <Enter> X tries to
   start again.  Is /dev/mouse a link?  No.  /dev/mouse
   really does not exist. Cannot add another mouse that
   works.

   Give up on xf86cfg

   <Ctrl-Alt-F1>

   Run dselect

   Select and Install kernel-image-2.4.18-k7
   (kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4 should be replaced).

   Rebooted

   Used "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" to disable
   the use of the kernel framebuffer device interface.

   /etc/init.d/gdm restart

   X starts ok.

   As part of a previous install I had loaded the modules
   provided with kernel-image-2.4.18-k7 that enable
   framebuffer support for the Matrox Marvel G200 card.
   That method also allows X to start.
**

Paul L. Rogers                    RogersPL@datasync.com
Are you prepared for NetDay?      http://www.netday.org/