Invalid Port Command

First off, thanks to everyone for the help with the infinite loop issue,
the base-config was updated last night though, so I managed to install it
without any workarounds.  now i'm experiencing strange errors with FTP. my
apt/sources.list is set to use FTP and it is working fine, however ftp
always gives me an invalid port command error right after i log into an
FTP Site, and Lynx gives a similar error when I try to download via FTP.
the computer is behind an OpenBSD Firewall running NAT, however this has
never caused me any problems with Windows or FreeBSD Behind the firewall,
i was able to use FTP, IRC including DCC File transfers and everything
else I tried.  has anyone ever seen this error before, it seems to occur
on every ftp site with the exception of useing apt to fetch from an FTP
Site.  furthermore lynx is behaving oddly, if I just hit enter to download
a tar.gz it tries to display it using 'less some-file.tar.gz' i have to
press D to download it, thats never happened to be before either.. could
it be a result of answering YES during debian installation when it asks if
I want to create a mime type application/* ? i just chose yes because it
seemed like a good idea, but i dont recall ever seeing that question in
it?

Thanks for your patience,
Andre :)