SSH Daemon failing

Hi All,

A few days ago SSH just failed on me, out of the blue.

Everytime I start ssh (/etc/init.d/ssh start), this appears in the auth.log
file:

Feb 25 13:50:44 porky sshd[453]: fatal: daemon() failed: Success

I can run ssh in debug mode (sshd -d) or by telling it not to detach
(sshd -D) and it runs fine. It just when it tried to daemonise itself that
it fails, as you can see by the log files. Other processes such as syslogd
start/stop fine.

Any suggestions?

Andrew Tait
System Administrator
Country NetLink Pty, Ltd
E-Mail: andrewt@cnl.com.au
WWW: http://www.cnl.com.au
30 Bank St Cobram, VIC 3644, Australia
Ph: +61 (03) 58 711 000
Fax: +61 (03) 58 711 874

"It's the smell! If there is such a thing." Agent Smith - The Matrix