Re: New upgrade report, potato to woody.

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 04:42:39PM -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Thom May wrote:
> > * Dale Scheetz (dwarf@polaris.net) wrote :
> > > 1. I highly recomment doing a 'dpkg -l >old-packages.list' before the
> > >    upgrade.
> > is this not what 'dpkg --get-selections >old-packages.list' is for?
> > ( the benefit of that is
>
> No, not in this case. A readable list of packages is the only way I know
> how to compare my end result with my starting position.

I usually find that --get-selections is preferable, but not because I
want to feed it back to --set-selections - it's because it doesn't
truncate package names to a rather short length like -l does. Of course,
you don't get version numbers this way, so YMMV.

Cheers,