RE: vi and up/down arrow

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Allison, Jason (JALLISON) wrote:

> Dont make me use PICO!  If you do, I promise I will pronounce it
> 'peeko'!

I hope that wasn't a threat, because that's how it's pronounced. :P

(NB: I've actually heard it pronounced like "pike-oh," which is why I
write today to set the record straight.

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary <www.m-w.com> says that "pico" is borrowed
from Spanish. There's only one way to pronounce that word in Spanish:
"peeko." [It would have to be "paico" to have a long "I" sound, and even
that is just an approximation.] Its bundling with Pine doesn't change how
Pico is pronounced, nor, in my opinion, does how its authors pronounce it.
[Knuth and RMS are another story, to an extent; let's not get into that.])

- Shane

P.S. If you don't want to use Pico because of the name or the licensing,
you can still use GNU Nano, which is like Pico but smaller, licensed under
the GPL, and actually found in the Debian-testing packages list -- in
fact, this could fool a lot of people*:

	apt-get nano && ln -fs /usr/bin/nano /usr/bin/pico

* Well, except for the "GNU Nano" banner at the top, but you'd be
surprised how little attention one pays to that. ;)