Re: gpm and X mice jitter

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> > Hi!  Hope I am posting to the right group.  Using Debian testing.  Both
> > the gpm and the X mice jitter and are unusable, although the mouse is
> > standard PS2 and works fine with another distrib.  Suggestions welcome.
>
> You probably set both X and gpm to read the raw device.  Let gpm
> read /dev/psaux and tell X to read /dev/gpmdata and pass gpm the -R
> flag.

I do _not_ _agree_ it helps. I had the same problem like Eric. Then I
went to the documentation and it is outlined there: "You should be using
gpmdata..." and so on. Ok it helps a lot (of course you've got to set it
correctly) but even then I experierence another strange behaviour: at
first glance everything seems perfectly ok but at some moment (let say
after you've been playing with some application) under
X-window my mouse will suddenly jump at random location... I don't know
what's wrong. I tried several combinations (mouse protocol and so on)
and the beheviour is the same - maybe it's just my mouse. Well anyway I
strongly discourage using X-window and linux virtual terminals at the
same time not only because that the co-existance of gpm and x-window
mouse isn't smooth, not to say not well developed. In general and as far
as my few years experience tells me the switching between the
x-server(s) and virual terminals can cause and it frequenly does
instability of your linux box. I know same of you will claim it never
did happen to you. But I experience it with a few friends of mine and me
myself: at least with these hardware combinations: voodoo
3:3000/BX/P-III, riva vanta/BX/celeron-433,
geforce2mx/abitKT-7/athlon1333. I don't know it is representative. I
know many will ask: did you use riva binary driver or did you use
opensource nv. Well both of them happen to have the same problem apart
that the open source driver is unusable to me because it lacks hardware
accelerated OpenGL support and some video extention when decoding divx
movies.

So enought
	greetings to all of you

   Tomek