Re: Debian Woody/unstable?testing?unsure x-window-system display not showing ANY text

Dear Sir,  I will help you but ...

You need to understand we are volunteer organization.  You need to do
your home work such as reading documentation first before acting :)

submit@bugs.debian.org is for more specific bug report.
Your message belongs to debian-user@l.d.o so I set Reply-to set there.
Multi-posting is considered BAD.

(Do not send mail to me.  I am CCing you just because you do not seem to
 have understanding on mailing list practice.)

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 01:32:51PM -0700, Alexander.Henry@asu.edu wrote:
> Hello.  A mishap with my Debian distribution has forced me to purge my
> x-window-system and reinstall about three times over.  Each time I do so, X
> doesn't seem to want to use fonts.  Any fonts, not for menus, not for the
> login window, nothing.

All you needed may have been (from root):

# dpkg-reconfigure --p=low xserver-xfree86

> The mishap which caused this was me absent-mindedly allowing deselect to do
> what it wanted: the sources list still requested the testing distribution
> after Woody was released as stable, and downloaded 300+ package updates.
> After doing so, graphics were defunct: instead of loading into a graphical
> login window per KDE after booting, my monitor wheezed five times, then Linux
> dumped to the standard text login.  My impatient solution was to rip out
> everything X and put it back in, with not much luck so far.

If you save .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives/ you do not need to
download again.  Maybe put it in separate partition and keep out of
your way :)

Anyway, are you ATI Mach64 user, then install X3.  X4 does not work on
that.

But your symptom sounds like X screen refresh rate problem.  Old monitor
can not do fast refresh:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Nanao F550i"
        HorizSync       30-57
        VertRefresh     43-72
        Option          "DPMS"
EndSection

If HorizSync is too fast, monitor shut itself off (if you are lucky
like me) or monitor smokes.

> I'm two steps short of reformatting this hard drive.  I am now going to read
> through apt HOWTOs and some x-window material before doing so, and hope to
> have a working Linux system before I start any serious school work.  I'd
> appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

No. (At lease keep deb package.)

Let's fix XF86Config-4 (for X4) or XF86Config (for X3).

To pick set of package (Like what you lost for X) and regain reasonable
set of fonts etc.

# dselect update
# tasksel

should help you.

Read more on my "Debian Reference" for package handling tricks.

Osamu
        Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ also http://qref.sf.net
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract