Re: Rpm problems

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 01:30:12PM +0200, myster sen wrote:
> 2002-08-14/21h, when Ken Stronach wrote:
> >   I am trying to  install my Lexmark drivers for a Optra C710 but
> >   the rpm keeps giving me a few errors.
> >
> >   rpm -i lexmark???.rpm
> >   error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
> >   error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
>
> >   Never tried to use rpm's within Debian before but I assume I am
> >   using it correctly...
>
> i think i had this problem a couple of months ago as well, when i tried
> to install the rpms for planeshift. the problem was, that there did not
> exist a rpm-database.

Even if there did, it would be dangerous to use it, since there would be
no protection against rpm and dpkg each overwriting files that the other
had installed. If you want to be safe, you either convert the .rpm to a
.deb and use dpkg or you install into a hierarchy like /usr/local, /opt,
or your home directory that Debian doesn't touch.