Re: reportbug vs. newbie

> On Jun 27, Dan Jacobson wrote:
>> Environment settings:
>> EDITOR="emacsclient"
>>
>> 1. I enter the editor but dont see where you want me to type the
>>    text.  ought to have "type problem here" until one turns it off in
>>    some .reportdebianbugrc file.   One guesses one is to type in the
>>    middle blank area,.>
> One is correct.  Expect such a feature in the novice mode for woody+1
> (though I'm certain that will encourage reports with the boilerplate
> still in it...).>
>> 2. see disturbing:
>> "Package does not appear to exist."
>> each time, but then goes on to find it.
>
> I can't diagnose this without more details.  My guess is that you don't
> have 24/7 Internet access from the machine, so it can't query the
yes, a modem fellow, me

> bug tracking system.  Try adding 'no-query-bts' to your
> .reportbugrc (or wait for woody+1 when you can use 'offline' to
> disable all online access).

how about the error message saying "... or we are offline"
or connect failed ... this is the actual problem,
just report this inner problem to the user in addition at least,

I mean if the a mail program said "your mom doesn't appear to exist"
instead of "connection to the net failed", some users might worry

>> "Using 'Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net>' as your from address."
>> great, one has to send the mail to their ISP and then retrieve it.
>> Isn't poking around in /etc/email-addresses none of reportbug's
>> business?  What if every program did that? say, calendar, cron, at ...
>> isn't that the MTA's job?>
> You're more than welcome to adjust the from address in .reportbugrc as
> well.  Bear in mind that reportbug is designed to work even without a
> working MTA on the system (see the "smtphost" option).>
> By the way, if this is an actual bug report, it should not be
> submitted with the -d option.  I'm quite likely to forget anything that
> I promise in response to a non-filed bug report; if there are specific
> changes you would like to see, I strongly recommend using the BTS to
> record them.  On the other hand, if you want to discuss> usability issues with reportbug in general, I recommend discussing it on
> debian-devel or debian-testing, where others can participate and
ok, cc'd