Re: configuration

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 05:15:49PM +0200, Matthijs Kooijman wrote:
> > I just completed a dist-upgrade from potato to woody, in which I apparently
> > messed up the X configuration (at least), as I have no startx command.
> > Would you point me to the simplest HOWTO to make this work?  /proc/pci says I
> > have and S3 Inc Trio 64/V2/DX or GX (Rev 4) video card.
>
> You'd better check that, since I believe the support for a lot of S3 cards
> is not present in XFree86 4.1 (4.2 supports most S3 cards, but is not
> present in testing)

'startx' is part of the xbase-clients package, IIRC, and support for
pre-Virge S3 cards is only present in XFree 3.3. Legacy XFree 3 packages
still exist, you need 'xserver-s3'.

If you apt-get install xbase-clients and xserver-s3 you should be fine.

Bertram
--
Bertram Bourdrez, CS student, Leiden University | Debian, Linux, Unix geek
bertram@bourdrez.org, bbourdre@liacs.nl         | ICQ# 32236129, GPG BC8F96F5