Re: is XFree4.x stable under debian?

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 06:33:51PM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 08:24:04AM -0700, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> > This really seems to depend on the video card.  I have several types of Matrox
> > cards here and X has NEVER, EVER been unstable.  It has always been the
> > application that took me out of X.

Is it a kind of commercial ? :> Seriously I DO consider changing my
graphics card to something else - I just don't have time to wait for an
update or a patch - and personally I'm too poor C programmer :/ to alter the sources
myself. The problem is I'd done that already - I mean switching from an AGP S3
Trio3d/2x to that NVidia board. But both S3 and nvidia perform well
under M$ (many hours of working under M$-Office and IE internet
browsing) but than stiil why shouldn't it under linux ?!??

> Here is a question: should an application be able to "take you out of
> X"? Shouldn't X ideally be able to survive bad applications just like
> Linux ... ?

Hmm... Exactly !!! I'll tell you that I use intensively the network features of
XFree86 windowing features. It's because we've just bought a very fast
dedicated pc - it's also running debian and it's main purpose is to
serve the Mozilla browser as fast as possible :> or/and providing XSessions to
X-terminals. Why am I telling you that? Because I think that this cast a
little more light on the problem. In my opinion the X crashes are not determined by any
application-crash in any way. Anyway the application sever can run
completely different operating system such as FreeBSD (well it's still a
UN*X :) so what have that to do with my X-server running under linux?
And moreover - I would never be able to reproduce the crash under any
circumstances. It's as likely running heavy Mozilla session as when
editing a C source under a lightspeed VIM in a Konsole. No matter KDE, WMaker
whatever.