Problem installing from the network (looping)

I'm having trouble installing debian from woody/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/compact/. (there is no tulip or intel ethernet driver on the vanilla)

I got eth0 detected during boot time, but when I try installing from the network, it keeps asking me to configure it! There is no error messages shown, all the parameters are correct (static IP).

If I run ifconfig -a, I can see it configured properly (even though I can ping nothing but my own static IP, the rest is unreachable). But it's not showing up with "ifconfig".

If I try to configure it manually (ifconfig eth0 up and so) I get SIOCSIFFLAGS: Ressource temporarily unavailable

I tried with 2 different network cards, intel and kingston (tulip), both detected as eth0.

In the message console, I get messages like :

user.debug dbootstrap[75]: kill [-s sigspec | -signum |-sigspec] [pid| job] ... or
user.debug dbootstrap[75]: kill -l [exitstatus]
user.info dbootstrap[75]: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Ressource temporarily unavailable
user.info dbootstrap[75]:can't make symlink from /lib/modules to /target/lib/modules, the latter doesn't exist
[...]
depmod: cannot read ELF header from /lib/modules/2.2.20-compact/modules.dep
[...]

The /lib/modules/2.2.20-compact/modules.dep is present in the console.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot!

Emanuel