Re: Problem with KDE/Xfree86 and large JPEGs

> > Try this page for example:
> > http://www.surplus.psu.edu/annual_spring_auction.htm
> >
> > It contains a ridiculously large jpeg that is also scaled
> > by width/height tags.  Obviously this is an example of poor
> > web design, but I've had the problem surface elsewhere too.
> > This just happens to be easily repeatable.
> >
> > Chris
>
> I tried it, and my machine crashed.
> Looks like a dangerous bug.
>
> Matias

Well, it didn't crash my machine, but it did take about 2 minutes to
download the image in Konqueror, with the display periodically locking up
for 10-15 seconds at a time.

I first viewed the image in Mozilla1.0RC1 and it displayed in a few
seconds (I have 1mbit DSL).  I then tried Konqueror, which is significant
because I have a Squid proxy, so the image was presumably grabbed over the
LAN as opposed to over the Internet.

I then saved the image to ~/Desktop and opened it in Konqueror using View
Profile "File Management" and it opened almost instantly.  I opened the
image (again from local disk) using Konqueror View Profile "Web
Browsing" and it took about 10 seconds with the CPU usage maxing out
during that time.

Could it be a problem with khtml?

Matthew Thompson       http://mattyt.net
mattyt@oz.net          http://www.oz.net/~mattyt
"The tango, danced correctly, is so sexy that you
ought to get married afterwards." -Robert A. Heinlein