Problem with KDE/Xfree86 and large JPEGs

Not sure if this is a known problem, but I've noticed major
performance issues with KDE apps, particularly Konqueror,
handling large images.  Running top shows nearly 100% cpu
time going to XFree86.  Image viewers like GQview have no
trouble whatsoever.

Try this page for example:
http://www.surplus.psu.edu/annual_spring_auction.htm

It contains a ridiculously large jpeg that is also scaled
by width/height tags.  Obviously this is an example of poor
web design, but I've had the problem surface elsewhere too.
This just happens to be easily repeatable.

Chris