Re: glibc/gettext inconsistancy ? & local .mo problem

Santiago Vila wrote:

> Run "dpkg-reconfigure locales" and choose "fr_FR ISO-8859-1".
> Or edit /etc/locale.gen and run locale-gen by hand.
>
> I will not work if you don't generate the locale files for your LANG setting.

$ more /etc/locale.gen
# [...]
en_US ISO-8859-1

If I use LANG=en_US, the program is ok for looking in current directory.
If I use LANG=fr_FR, the program refuse to search in the current directory as
the source code tell.

This behaviour is wrong. I understand that if the system is installed with
locale for "en_US"only, it's no need to search in the standard system locales if
LANG is set to "fr_FR". BUT any user should be allowed to set LANG with any
value he wants and be able to use .mo files in private user directories. It's
usefull:
- when developer (or translator) wants to test his program with different LANG
(but he don't want to install locale for all this languages on it's own
system!),
- when user download some software and want to experiment locally using it's
prefered language, whatever the system default language configuration is.

Does anybody know how to use private directory translations independently from
system default language ?

Anyway, much thanks to Santiago Vila for your help,

--
Philippe Ribet

                         The README file said
              "Requires Windows 95, NT 4.0, or better."
                    So... I installed it on Linux!