Could not perform immediate configuration

i'm running potato and i'm trying to dist-upgrade to woody. these are the steps that i followed:

1. insert the first cd and run 'apt-cdrom add'

2. repeat step 1 for all 8 cd's

3. run 'apt-get update'

4. see what should happen by doing a
   'apt-get --fix-broken --show-upgraded --simulate dist-upgrade | less'

5. finally, 'apt-get --fix-broken --show-upgraded dist-upgrade'

but, at this part(step 5), after it asks me to insert the first cd and press enter, i get this error:

E: Internal Error, Could not perform immediate configuration

and then it exits. what do i do? are my steps wrong? pls. help.