Woody net install: no /dev/cdrom created

Hi,

I recently installed Woody using a CD netinstall image, based on boot
floppies 3.0.19 and an idepci kernel, a few weeks ago. I was somewhat
surprised today to see that /dev/cdrom did not exist on my system when
I finally tried to use the CDROM device (with gtcd). I see why it
might have happened: since I never used the CDROM during install, a
/dev/cdrom link was never created.

However, should the install procedure somehow suggest to the user that
this should be done? Or walk a user through a setup? ("Would you like
to set up a CDROM device?")

Otherwise things like gtcd fail somewhat mysteriously. For newbies
anyway (or are newbies only to install via CDROM?).

Cheers!
Shyamal