procfs weirdness on unstable/testing

debian testing/unstable/sid, current as of 27.Jan.2002 19:00 PST.
kernel 2.4.13 from kernel.org, no patches, no recent compiles.

I've been running sid for months without problems until today,
after dist-upgrade and reboot.

After dealing with various error conditions I (finally!) figured
out that nothing in /proc is actually working when I first boot
the machine, even though I see "proc on /proc type proc (rw)"
when I type 'mount'.

In order to get procfs working I first do "umount /proc" which
gives "proc not found" and then "/proc not mounted" even though
it clearly WAS mounted when I typed 'mount'.  After getting
those messages I type 'mount' again and (as you would expect)
I don't see a listing for /proc.

Now, when I type "mount -a" the procfs gets mounted without
any error messages and everything starts to work again!

Any clues why procfs doesn't work right the first time 'round
after booting?