Re: CVS/SSH not playing nice

On 25 January 2002, Shane Beasley said:
> I can't get CVS+SSH to work under Woody. I'm pretty sure that my procedure
> is correct, and I think I found the problem, but I have no idea what to do
> about it.
>
> My procedure does something like so:
>
>   mkdir ${HOME}/foo
>   export CVSROOT=:ext:${USER}@localhost:${HOME}/foo
>   export CVS_RSH=ssh
>   cvs init

Hmm, looks fine to me.

> The symptom is that CVS initiates the SSH connection, then freezes. I set
> CVS_RSH to refer to a wrapper script which called `ssh -v -v -v $*` and
> these are its dying words:
>
>   debug1: Entering interactive session.
>   debug2: callback start
>   debug1: ssh_session2_setup: id 0
>   debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
>   debug1: Requesting authentication agent forwarding.
>   debug1: Sending command: cvs server
>   debug2: callback done
>   debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 16384
>   debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 32768

That looks like OpenSSH speaking SSH protocol 2.  Do you have a protocol
2 identity?

The obvious question: what happens when you "ssh -v $USER@localhost"?
Have you tried "ssh -1" to force protocol 1?

> Using the aforementioned recipe, I got Potato to keep a CVS+SSH repository
> on itself, and I got a Woody box to keep one on the Potato box, but I
> cannot seem to get either to keep one on a Woody box, implying that it's a
> problem with sshd on Woody (either programmatically or by configuration).

That sort of sounds like a protocol mismatch...

> However, I purged the Woody SSH package and installed the Potato SSH
> package (which is version 1) and it did not seem to fix the problem.

...but that does *not*.  Well, it's worth a try...

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - Unix geek                                   gward@python.net
http://starship.python.net/~gward/