Upgrade to gpm 1.19.6-9 started a previously non-running gpm

Hi,

I upgraded my Woody laptop today with 'apt-get update' followed by
'apt-get dist-upgrade'. It went well, except that the gpm upgrade
started a gpm process when there was none running before the upgrade.
I would have expected the gpm installation to not start gpm unless it
was already running. Is this a bug?

I'm a relatively new Debian user, so please tell me if I'm off in the
weeds.

Cheers!
Shyamal

Notes:

The problem is related to the fact that gpm does not play well with
the X server on my Compaq Armada laptop. I have set up run level 3 (my
default run level) through 5, with a K20gpm file and a S20gdm etc. to
start X but no gpm. Run level 2 is set up to run gpm but no X server,
and every once in a while I need that.

Excerpts from the dist-upgrade typescript follow. It was run in a
terminal console at run level 3 (X running, no gpm, and I do not login
as root via gdm):

madcow:~# apt-get -f dist-upgrade
...[deleted]....
  libgtkhtml20 python2.2
83 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 57.1MB of archives. After unpacking 11.6MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y^M
...[deleted]....
Get:17 http://http.us.debian.org woody/main gpm 1.19.6-9 [144kB]
...[deleted]....
Preparing to replace gpm 1.19.6-5 (using .../archives/gpm_1.19.6-9_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement gpm ...
.....[deleted]....
Setting up gpm (1.19.6-9) ...
Stopping mouse interface server: gpm.