Re: Spoofing package status.

On Monday, 19. Nov. 2001 at 12:35:04, Dave Restall - System Administrator wrote

> What I would like to do is to be able to let dselect / dpkg THINK that
> what is installed is the version that it expects, quite possibly by
> editing /var/lib/dpkg/status if necessary.  This is a requirement simply
> because with a lot of stuff, dselect/dpkg _THINKS_ the installation is
> broken when in reality it is not, it just doesn't have the bits that
> dpkg/dselect thinks it should have.

Hello Dave,

look for the package equivs.

$apt-cache show equivs

 This is a dummy package which can be used to create Debian
 packages, which only contain dependency information.
 .
 This way, you can make the Debian package management
 system believe that equivalents to packages on which other
 packages do depend on are actually installed.

Hth Michael

--
The README file said "Requires Windows 95, NT 4.0, or
better." So... I installed it on Linux!