Re: network interface deconfiguration upon halt and reboot

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 11:07:39PM -0500, Ron Brown wrote:
> Does Debian ever actually deconfigure network interfaces upon halt or
> reboot? My Debian testing gives the following:
> $ ls /etc/rc?.d/*networking
> /etc/rc0.d/S35networking  /etc/rc6.d/S35networking

S links in rc0.d and rc6.d get called with "stop" as the argument.

> Looking at the list output above, there are no symlinks to 'kill'
> the network interfaces (/etc/rc0.d/KXXnetworking etc.). That is,
> "ifdown -a" never gets executed for my system to bring down the
> interfaces.

You should find that it does. Add a "down date >>/ifdown-called" line
to your loopback interface in /etc/network/interfaces to check that it's
working if you like.

Cheers,
aj

 "Security here. Yes, maam. Yes. Groucho glasses. Yes, we're on it.
   C'mon, guys. Somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
    can't deal with deconstructionist humor. Code Blue."
		-- Mike Hoye,
		      see http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt