unnecessary invocations of dial on demand

Okay. I have some more data for this:

exim causes DoD even by running 'exim -bp' on an empty queue with the
standard settings. When I insert a line

primary_hostname = MyMachine

this behavior stops and any local activity is fine. However, now
remote messages are not delivered any more. I have done some debugging
and found this calling 'exim -d9 -M MESSAGEID':

---SNIP------
MyMachine in local_domains? yes (matched MyMachine)
--<SNIP>------
routelist_item = * smtprelay.PROVIDER1.com:post.PROVIDER2.de bydns_a
after handling route_lists items, matched = 1
original hostlist=smtprelay.PROVIDER1.com:post.PROVIDER2.de options=bydns_a
expanded hostlist="smtprelay.PROVIDER1.com:post.PROVIDER2.de" options=bydns_a
DNS lookup of smtprelay.PROVIDER1.com (A6) gave TRY_AGAIN
smtprelay.PROVIDER1.com in dns_again_means_nonexist? no (end of list)
returning DNS_AGAIN
DNS lookup of smtprelay.PROVIDER1.com (AAAA) gave TRY_AGAIN
smtprelay.PROVIDER1.com in dns_again_means_nonexist? no (end of list)
returning DNS_AGAIN
DNS lookup of smtprelay.PROVIDER1.com (A) gave TRY_AGAIN
smtprelay.PROVIDER1.com in dns_again_means_nonexist? no (end of list)
returning DNS_AGAIN
smarthost router deferred gmx.de
  message: host lookup for smtprelay.PROVIDER1.com did not complete (DNS timeout?)
added retry item for R:gmx.de: errno=-37 0 flags=0
---SNIP-------

It does not matter, if I am online or not. The DNS lookup fails. Okay, I
could accept that, if it would be always like that. However, without the
'primary_hostname' parameter in the exim config file this DNS lookup
works:

---SNIP-------
localhost in local_domains? yes (matched localhost)
--<SNIP>------
original hostlist=smtprelay.PROVIDER1.com:post.PROVIDER2.de options=bydns_a
expanded hostlist="smtprelay.PROVIDER1.com:post.PROVIDER2.de" options=bydns_a
DNS lookup of smtprelay.PROVIDER1.com (A6) succeeded
DNS lookup of fmrlallmx.PROVIDER1.com (A6) gave NO_DATA
returning DNS_NOMATCH
DNS lookup of smtprelay.PROVIDER1.com (AAAA) succeeded
DNS lookup of fmrlallmx.PROVIDER1.com (AAAA) gave NO_DATA
returning DNS_NOMATCH
DNS lookup of smtprelay.PROVIDER1.com (A) succeeded
---SNIP-------

Note the first line I have cut out. By setting
'primary_hostname=MyMachine' the name 'MyMachine' is used instead of
'localhost'. However without this parameter the documentation of exim says
the primary_hostname is set by calling 'uname()' and uname returns
'MyMachine' as well.

This is really confusing ...

What is causing all this? Exim? libc6 resolver?

The bugreport for 'host' is supposed to be closed. Should I open up
another bug for exim to collect all this debugging stuff? I am not
familiar with the Debian debugging process (not yet :).

Comments, hints, fixes?

Bye, Steffen