Re: Telnet problems after massive update

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Jon Stanley wrote:

> I was on the testing branch for awhile, then my bro took over the machine and I lost the root password.  At any rate, I now have the root passwd again and went to do an update.  Finding that there were massive things to be upgraded, I went ahead and did them.  After this, I lost telnet access into the box.  Not that big of a deal for me, I use SSH.  But my bro insists on being able to use telnet for some odd and strange reason.  At any rate, the brokeness of telnet is somewhat of a big deal.  Anyhow, here is what happens:
>
> [jstanley@kenny /home]$ telnet <hostname>
> Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ...
> Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Debian GNU/Linux testing/unstable xxx.xxx.xxx
> Connection closed by foreign host.
> [jstanley@kenny /home]$
>
> There are no access controls that I know of - looking at the logs just shows successful telnet connections.  A glance at hosts.allow and hosts.deny are unrevealing (Wouldn't get that far into it anyway, with the banner).  Manually executing /bin/login at the command line gives the expected results and I am able to successfully authenticate.  I'm not quite sure how to debug whether login is getting called or not, or where in the process this is dying.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

I detected the same behaviour and found out after some investigations
that the upgrade from libc6_2.2.3-9 to libc6_2.2.4-1 causes a segfault
in /usr/lib/telnetlogin. I submitted a bug report (#109915) to
submit@bugs.debian.org

Regards, Guenter
--
Dipl.-Ing. Guenter Millahn         Brandenburg University of Technology
Systems, Network & DB Admin        CS Dept / DB & IS Research Group

"The real world is still far away from be led ad absurdum by the virtual
one."    (Hal Faber, newsreel "What happened, what will be", 08/13/2000)