Re: Telnet problems after massive update

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 12:01:55AM -0500, Jon Stanley wrote:
> Finding that there were massive things to be upgraded, I
> went ahead and did them. After this, I lost telnet access
> into the box. Not that big of a deal for me, I use SSH. But
>
> [jstanley@kenny /home]$ telnet <hostname>
> Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ...
> Connected to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> Debian GNU/Linux testing/unstable xxx.xxx.xxx
> Connection closed by foreign host.
> [jstanley@kenny /home]$
>
>  There are no access controls that I know of - looking at
> the logs just shows successful telnet connections. A glance
> at hosts.allow and hosts.deny are unrevealing (Wouldn't get
> that far into it anyway, with the banner). Manually
> executing /bin/login at the command line gives the expected
> results and I am able to successfully authenticate. I'm not
> quite sure how to debug whether login is getting called or
> not, or where in the process this is dying. Any help would
> be appreciated. Thanks

Hi,

As root run the program /usr/lib/telnetlogin. If it segfaults, then
it is because of a bug in  ... you guessed it :) ... telnetlogin.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=telnetd

the bug is listed as resolved. It is - the fix in the bug report
works if you get the source and recompile, but apparently the
updated package is not out, or has not made it into the apt
distribution system.

HTH,
Bill